Polaris Bank MD Retires, Joins Lagos East Senatorial Contest

 


MANAGING Director/Chief Executive Officer of Polaris Bank Limited, Mr. Tokunbo Abiru, has retired after four years at the helm of affairs. He will step down on August 31.

Abiru, a former Executive Director of First Bank of Nigeria Plc, had two years stint as Lagos State Commissioner for Finance in the Administration of Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN).

The outgoing CEO announced to the staff of the bank that after nearly three decades in the banking industry, “serving meritoriously”, he resolved to retire to enable him contribute his quota in other areas of endeavour.

Below is his official statement:

NOTICE OF RETIREMENT:


You are no doubt aware of the recent speculations in the media about my immediate future. Owing to my current circumstances, I have deliberately refrained from responding to the on-going conversations. However, as a friend, I have now decided to notify you directly of my plans.

I therefore wish to inform you of my decision to retire from the service of Polaris Bank, effective 31 August 2020, having successfully completed my second tenure as Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of the Bank.


In taking this decision, I have reflected on my career experiences over the last three decades, including the privilege to successfully lead the transformation of the defunct Skye Bank to become Polaris Bank.


Before this appointment, I had served in several capacities in some of the leading Banks in Nigeria's banking industry, including at one time, as an Executive Director in First Bank of Nigeria Ltd.


I was at various times appointed as Non–Executive Director in some major companies, including Econet (now Airtel) Mobile Networks Limited, and FBN Capital Limited (now FBN Merchant Bank Limited).

Do recall that I also had a brief stint in public service, having served from 2011 to 2013 as the Honorable Commissioner of Finance for Lagos State Government under the dynamic and transformational leadership of Governor Babatunde R. Fashola (SAN).


With the support of the Board and Executive Management of Polaris Bank and by the grace of the Almighty, I have delivered on the Central Bank of Nigeria’s mandate to stabilize and establish the Bank on the path of sustainable profitability.


It gives me great pleasure to say that Polaris Bank is today a digitally enabled, customer-friendly and forward-looking enterprise, which has secured its rightful place in the vanguard of the Nigeria Banking Industry. What remains outstanding is the divestment of Government ownership from the Bank to suitable investors in order to further solidify the journey on the path of continuous growth.


With these accomplishments, I have concluded that this is a good juncture to retire from the industry, and contribute my quota in other areas of social impact and national development as Mahatma Ghandi  put it succinctly 


“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others”


As I proceed on my retirement, I will continue to give my very best to the development of our society and exemplify the high ethical standards and professionalism with which I have been associated throughout my career in all my future endeavours. I remain committed to our collective values and aspirations for our dear nation. I find solace in a famous quote 


“only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"


Sincerely Yours,


Adetokunbo Mukhail Abiru

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IKORODU CANVASES SUPPORT FOR KALESANWO AS P.S

Igbega Ikorodu Congratulates Dr. Abatan

Igbega Ikorodu's Samson Bisiriyu Awarded Honorary Doctorate Degree